What is proper (and improper) to post in alt.html?
Encouraged topics include:
- Any question pertaining the the use of HTML
- Discussion of W3C recommendations
- Design issues involved in authoring world wide web documents
- Request for a site critique (see below on how to get your site critiqued)
- Implementation issues involved in launching a website
- Issues involved in running a web site.
Things you are likely to get flamed about:
- Advertisement for a "Webdesign" or "HTML Help" site
- Off topic posts - technical stuff not related to web development or design.
- Trolls. (i.e. "Microsoft is better then Netscape!", "What resolution does everyone use?", "How do I hide my source code?")
If you wish for your site to be critiqued there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Don't get angry if people respond negatively about your site! By asking for a critique you are asking for an honest opinion.
- Include the URL to your site! This is the leading mistake people make when requesting a critique; they don't give the site URL.
- Include a description of the site - interesting sites with good content give you a better chance of an in-depth critique.
- Don't pass of advertising your site as a critique request. If you want to advertise, alt.html is not the place for it.