alt.html FAQ: Change Log
5 August 2004: Changes and Updates
- What browsers other than IE and NN are there?: added Pocket Internet Explorer, and updated browser history.
- What speech-based browsers are available?: Added the popular assistive technologies like IBM HPR, JAWS and WindowEyes
- What are the drawbacks of WYSIWYG editing?: new question
20 June 2003: Changes and Updates
- What is the XBitHack?: new question.
- Why does Netscape 4 show the source my .shtml page?: new question.
- How should I munge my email address?: new question.
- Is there a definitive guide to sending HTML e-mail?: added checklist of questions before embarking on HTML email campaigns.
26 May 2003: Changes and Updates
- How do I remove the dotted focus box around links?: new question.
- Why validate forms on the client?: new question.
- Copyright question split into What are the copyright issues surrounding webpages? and What are the copyright issues surrounding frames? with new material
27 April 2003: Changes and Updates
- What CSS implementation problems and bugs are there?: new question.
- Are there any problems with the Verdana font?: new question
- How do I position images at all four corners of a div?: new question
- How do I implement browser specific styles?: new question
- All links to HTMLCodeTutorial removed as a result of blatant spamming. Instead I've mirrored the IDocs references and material at NewbiesBeware
2 March 2003: Changes and Updates
- New questions
- What is flexible, fluid or liquid design?
- What is structured HTML markup versus presentational HTML?
- What is wrong with designing browser specific websites?
- How do I make a website look identical in all browsers?
- What are the disadvantages of fixed-width design?
- What are the common web design myths?
- Why should I use CSS layouts over tables?
- Why are fixed font sizes so evil?
- Added new categories:
- Web design: Covering issues, approaches and methodologies in website design. This concentrates more on the theoretical issues rather than actual implementations
- Deprecated Answers: These are older answers deprecated either in favour of CSS, or in the interests of web standards and accessibility.
- CSS Presentation: Covering questions about using CSS to format and present content
- CSS Positioning: Covering questions about using CSS to suggest a layout.
24 June 2002: Changes and Updates
- Why are frames so evil?: Restructured the content into sections and retidied the arguments.
- Is my formmail secure?: New question - hopefully clear up the situation with Matt's formmail script.
19 March 2002: Changes and Updates
- Tweaked the layout, and implemented a mySQL database
- Whats the difference between hits and number of users?: Added Analog's "How the Web Works."
- What are the annoying features of websites?: new question.
- Where can I find good PHP resources?: Added in new resources
- Any good ASP resources?: New Question with lots of links
- How do I structure PHP scripts?: New Question
- What speech-based browsers are available?: New Question
- Is there a definitive guide to sending HTML email?: Added brucie's link and an interesting argument against HTML emails.
- What is the adoption rate of browsers like?: New Question
- Any information about ITV and Sky TV browsers?: New Question
- What is a domain name?: New Question with an excellent answer from DollarBill
25 October 2001: Changes and Updates
- What is a web-safe colour pallette?: Added a detailed observation by a Macintosh user.
- How do I make a bulleted list that doesn't indent?: Added Eric Meyer's detailed explanation.
- What is SGML: new Question
- What is a Doctype?: new Question
- Whats the difference between hits and number of users?: added "Getting the most from your log files" link, plus additional explanation of why stats are inaccurate.
- How do I flame someone?: New question -- begged by Guy Macon's attempt.
17 October 2001: Changes and Updates
- What useful stuff can I do with SSI?: New question and answer contributed by brucie
- How do I used Outlook properly?: Added in a "How do I make Outlook safer for reading mail?" question.
- What is a good newsreader?: Added features that make a good newsreader, plus Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval (thanks Rob!)
- What browsers other than IE and NN are there?: Mozilla now at version 0.9.5, and corrected Dan Tobias' browser list link.
9 October 2001: Changes and Updates
- How do I put a custom icon next the the URL in the address bar and bookmark list?: Added the requirement that the page needs to be bookmarked.
- How do I use Outlook properly?: Added instructions to make Outlook Express 6 to post properly.
- What are the copyright issues surrounding webpages?: Added three more copyright links (including US Copyright Office FAQ).
- What is a validator, and which are recommended?: Added a paragraph about Bobby - the Web Accessibility validator. (Now I should make sure this site validates okay!)
- Why should I not top-post?: Added Jukka Korpela's "The power of negative thinking: The seven don'ts of Usenet"
7 October 2001: New Questions
- Why should I not ask for a reply by email?
- How do I get form details emailed?
- How do you justify a website to small businesses?
- How do I make a bulleted list that doesn't indent?
- What is PHP?
- What is CGI?
- What is Perl?
- Where can I find webstats for my site?
- How do I tell if a form is secure?
4 October 2001
- Added to Yahoo! under Computers and Internet > Data Formats > HTML
24 September 2001
- What's the difference between .shtml and .html?: Bit more detail on .shtml
22 September 2001
20 September 2001